TITLE 45 CRIMES
CHAPTER 5 OFFENSES AGAINST THE PERSON
PART 2 ASSAULT AND RELATED OFFENSES
45-5-221 Malicious intimidation or harassment relating to civil or human rights — penalty.
(1) A person commits the offense of malicious intimidation or harassment when, because of another person’s race, creed, religion, color, national origin, or involvement in civil rights or human rights activities, he purposely or knowingly, with the intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy, or offend:
(a) causes bodily injury to another;
(b) causes reasonable apprehension of bodily injury in another; or
(c) damages, destroys, or defaces any property of another or any public property.
(2) For purposes of this section, “deface” includes but is not limited to cross burning or the placing of any word or symbol commonly associated with racial, religious, or ethnic identity or activities on the property of another person without his or her permission.
(3) A person convicted of the offense of malicious intimidation or harassment shall be imprisoned in the state prison for a term not to exceed 5 years or be fined an amount not to exceed $ 5,000, or both.
45-5-222 Sentence enhancement — offenses committed because of victim’s race, creed, religion, color, national origin, or involvement in civil rights or human rights activities.
(1) A person who has pleaded guilty or nolo contendere to or who has been found guilty of any offense, except malicious intimidation or harassment, that was committed because of the victim’s race, creed, religion, color, national origin, or involvement in civil rights or human rights activities or that involved damage, destruction, or attempted destruction of a building regularly used for religious worship, in addition to the punishment provided for commission of the offense, may be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 2 years or more than 10 years, except as provided in 46-18-222.
(2) An additional sentence prescribed by subsection (1) shall run consecutively to the sentence, except as provided in 46-18-222.